If your water breaks or you start having regular contractions, please call the office or the answering service and let us know.
WHEN TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL
If your water breaks, please go to Mary Immaculate Hospital, after you have notified the office or answering service.
If you are having contractions that are 3-5 minutes apart, please call the office or answering service.
WHAT TO BRING TO THE HOSPITAL
Because your baby will decide on his or her own birthday, it is a good idea to have your suitcase packed four weeks in advance of your due date.
- Personal Identification
- Insurance Card and Prescription Card
- CD Player and Music CDs
- Focal point, if desired
- Watch with a second hand to time the contraction
- Lip balm for during labor and delivery
- One pair of slippers
- 2-3 pair of socks (one old pair for delivery-they may be ruined)
- Your favorite pillow
- 2-3 Nursing bras (regular bras if you do not plan to breastfeed)
- 2-3 pairs of underwear (not expensive lingerie; you will be bleeding after delivery)
- Toiletries (shampoo, comb, toothbrush, and toothpaste)
- Skin and facial moisturizer
- Change of clothes to wear home (maternity clothing)
- Calling card (most hospitals do not allow cell phones)
- Infant car seat. Set up your car seat in the car (it is mandatory for Virginia State Law and will be required for your baby’s ride home from the hospital). You should have the car seat installation inspected by your local fire department prior to putting your baby in the seat.
- Two receiving blankets.
- Clothes to wear home-T-shirt, “onesy”, hat, booties, and sleeper
- Heavy blanket (if delivering in cold weather).
- An outfit for newborn pictures.
For Support Person
- Change of clothing, toiletries
- Address book, or phone list of people to notify
- Camera, film, batteries
- Change for vending machines or money for cafeteria