Keeping women healthy for generations to come
Keeping women healthy for generations
Most women who use pessaries do so as a temporary alternative to surgery. But some women may use pessaries for years.
A pessary trial can be offered to women with stress urinary incontinence, particularly if there is preference for nonsurgical treatment. Other reasons that your doctor might prescribe a pessary would be:
- Presence of severe medical problems that make the patient a poor surgical candidate.
- Need to delay surgery for several weeks or months.
- Recurrent pelvic organ prolapse or SUI and patient preference for avoidance of repeat surgery.
- Vaginal ulcerations caused by severe pelvic organ prolapse. Reduction of pelvic organ prolapse through use of a pessary and application of vaginal estrogen cream both promote healing of the ulcers within three to six weeks, which is useful prior to surgical repair.
- Desire for future childbearing. The benefit of surgical repair of pelvic organ prolapse may be nullified by subsequent pregnancy and childbirth.
To Make an Appointment
Phone: (757) 877-0979
Fax: (757) 877-9805
Mon – Thu: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Fri: 8:30am – 1:00pm